Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2015


My Full House got cracked(Race Report)



In the absence of an overpair on the board, I would normally have no problems pushing all-in on a 10s full boat. Of course this was not a typical poker game, nor was it a typical race(because I actually won a prize). This was the New Balance Poker Run @Fleet Feet.

A rather interesting concept. Before the start you receive 2 playing cards, plus a third if you try on a pair of New Balance running shoes which you were allowed to run in for the evening. I was given an extra card anyway because they were unable to fit someone with a size 13 + Sasquatch width foot(they can only bring so many shoes with them and mine alone fill a small truck). Then out you go to the track(where track = a lap around a 1/2 mile city block). The race then begins(can you call this a race? Sorta? Kinda?) and around you go. Each time you pass go, you collect a new playing card(unfortunately, no 200 dollars). Once you hit 5 total, you must turn in a card before you draw a card. Your goal being to make the best possible 5 card poker hand. You may stop at any time you feel you want to play the hand you've got. Else, you're forced to stop(You probably could keep running but they stop giving you cards) at the 1 hour mark(which was actually like 50 minutes as we started with a safety chat and instructions which is a pretty good idea with 50 people running in the road at night with cars) and play whatever you have. The speed advantage here being the fast folks get to draw more cards than the rest of us(They say you shouldn't call yourself slow so I declare I'm simply not fast). After the end, everyone turns in their cards and prizes are handed out to the top 10 hands (table full of prizes and first place chooses first, etc)

Once I got 10s full of Jacks, I decided to stick with what I had. With less than half an hour left I didn't see my odds good of improving my hand and knowing my luck, the opposite was more likely. I did continue to run laps until I got my planned 4 miles in for my Wednesday run, but I sat on the cards I had(which is rather difficult to do while running). I stopped about 15 minutes before the end and turned in my cards where I was placed on the leader-board and was looking in first place(Me? first place? Another reason this couldn't possibly be a race).

So I hung out for a bit looking at all the gear that I wanted and can't afford(For some reason, no matter where you shop,  running gear is more expensive than black market, diamond encrusted, baby seal skin leather boots)while waiting for the others to finish. As they came in, I started to see some um. less than ideal poker hands(for me) coming in. 5 of a kind deuces, quad somethings, bigger boats than mine. By the time it was done I was in 6th place. 

So what did I learn? Poker skills do not translate to poker runs. Poker hand values are greatly deflated. Running in circles is not as fun as it would sound(Not sure why it sounds fun. You're weird). This was a really fun experience!!

In the end I won this nice running visor and a cool beer koozie(gave it away to someone who drinks beer so no photo. They don't make canned bourbon and I'm ok with that fact).  Some other folks also won some awesome wool running shirts, a foot massager, some socks. Lots of cool prizes!



I had a fantastic time. Thanks to Fleet Feet Louisville(much love!!), New Balance, Trigger Point, and the employees who worked hard to make this great and completely free event happen and for hooking us up with some pretty cool prizes!! You all rule!!

More Fleet Feet fun type runs coming this holiday season. I'm sure your eyes are riveted to the screen awaiting my blog update of them! (Wow your life must be boring)

No comments:

Post a Comment