Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Swami I am (Race report)


Who knew I could be so accurate at prediction(I suppose I should have if I'm throwing the swami flag)?

A prediction run:
What a wonderful type of race. It doesn't matter if you run fast like a Cheetah or slow like a Gila Monster, you have an equal chance of winning. It isn't about speed but about consistency in your running.

Before the race begins you go to the signup sheet, grab your race bib, hold it to your forehead, predict your 5K finish time, and write your name and the predicted time on the sheet. Winners being those finishing closest to their actual prediction time. Wait around a little bit (like any race) and then line up at the starting line. Before you start you are told to remove ALL electronics. Naturally I asked about pace makers, headlamps and flashing LEDs to be told they were exceptions(never miss an opportunity to be a wise ass).

This was a fun one because I was not pressured to run hard, else I would have needed to skip it as the knee is still healing(and nicely at that).  I'm a rather consistent runner. most of my runs are within 15 seconds on pace so I figured I had a good shot at placing.  Of course I didn't know the course, how many hills there would be or how steep(it was very few and rather shallow) they were so it was a bit of a guessing game. I also had no idea how much electronics impact my running.

Huff, puff, wheeze, choke, gurgle. These were the wonderful sounds gracing my ears as a ran. I'm accustomed to stuff more like Soul Coughing than actual coughing. but I suppose it's nice to know what a sexy sounding man I am not when I run<cackle>. It's a totally different experience without my music player.

How did it end? I didn't win. I didn't even finish in the top twelve(Places announced for honorable mention). 12th place was 48 seconds off prediction and I was 1:07. Oh well. Good times and two important lessons taken away...

I am amazing at making predictions!(just give it to me and roll with it)
I suck at running to those predictions <G>

Prizes:
3rd: A bag of Skratch sports drink powder
2nd: Superfeet inserts
1st: A cool pair of retro Saucony street shoes

Big thanks to Fleet Feet Louisville who once again knocked it out of the park with a free race, interesting concept and free goodies. They are huge supporters of running in Louisville. much love!!

No comments:

Post a Comment