Pages

Saturday, September 19, 2015



Swimming with Pterodactyls and Titanic survivors   



With knee recovery going well, I decided to up my game and add in some cross training.  Got me some board shorts, a 2 week free membership to the YMCA and off we go...

Now the challenge here is I haven’t swam in 30 years.  I’m fairly sure I remember how to stay afloat but to actually swim the crawl stroke, not so much. Now I have become athletic in the last year and was a pretty decent swimmer in my younger days, I figured I’d have some natural ability. I estimate my aquatic prowess lands somewhere between Michael Phelps and Dennis Nedry. I’ll let you guess which side of that scale I lean towards (Hint: Michael Phelps has probably never Googled how to swim). So to begin with, I was lacking confidence.

It was a Sunday morning. The reported slowest time in the pool. I walked in planning to give this a try and that’s when I saw it. The pool was full of Titanic survivors in pink rubber bathing caps and green inflatable, prehistoric wings on their arms. There are multiple ones of them in each lap swimming lane. They were circle swimming, while performing the 10 minute lap doggie paddle. My confidence in this plan went through the floor and without missing a beat, put a whole lot of gone between myself and that place.

Hmmmm. New plan needed:
I was lying on my bed taking a bit of a rest when it hit me. I’m not sure how exactly a cat tail to the face brought me to this conclusion but cycling was the answer!

More on that soon…...


******

I'm back to my nearly 18mile/week regimen and the legs are feeling great. Going to hang out at this distance for several weeks (with a 7 mile long run) until after the great pumpkin 10K. Gonna do some hill practice, strides and Fartleking until then.

Note: The workout data on the second tab thing isn't working out. Just need to figure out how to do it without shitting up the main feed page.


No comments:

Post a Comment