Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2015



The Butt. An amazing scientific discovery


That’s right. It isn’t just for trying to look like you aren’t looking at it, the rump has roles in society. It’s the mount point for the hinges that hold your legs(big fan). Your body’s counterweight and waste product pumping station. It’s the swivel point for your torso and it houses the largest muscle in the body(Sorry guys. I Googled it multiple times and can’t get the answer I’d hoped for), the Gluteus Maximus. Then there’s my favorite function. It allows the body to rest upon it while distributing your weight for maximum comfort. Knowing how luck runs in my world, this is naturally where the problem begins(I can, and probably do, use this sentence in just about every blog post)….

When used outside of manufacturer's specifications, the butt doesn’t always perform at peak efficiency(yeah, this could go really South from here but probably won’t. It’s morning and I’m not drinking). An example might be attempting to minimize the surface area of weight distribution when seated. Please refer to the below image and explanation of the problem.




In the picture on the left, you see a properly designed device that utilizes the weight distribution features of the posterior. The image on the right is a medieval torture device that is designed to cause discomfort, make you walk like a cowboy and the use of qualifies as an illegal act in 36 states(a fabricated metric). The latter image being the default interface point of my newest cross training toy….



Cycling seems rather fun but is also designed to test your level of comfort(or discomfort) in your own skin. A great example of this is the below image.



That’s about as outside as you will ever see me in those shorts. I could not make it out of the breezeway before declaring “F*** this”. I’ve been rockin’ a pair of running shorts on top for those ever since(For those who don't know, cycling shorts have padding in them to reduce the torture thus why I don't just forego them entirely).

I must admit, I find cycling to be pretty enjoyable. Put in just over 21 miles with my friend Rick yesterday. It’s not a bad workout, keeps you cooler than running, and certainly poops you out just as efficiently. This is a good cross-training choice for me because, let’s be honest, even I’d bet on me getting another running injury and this is a nice backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment