Pages

Saturday, October 17, 2015


32.1869 kilometers. Why?



My biggest running week yet. You're probably doing math right now and wondering why I used the metric system to tell you of this irrelevant achievement(or more likely, you don't give a shit). The answer being that I want to appear more worldly and desirable to the international female demographic of my reader base(all 1 of them? If I’m lucky).


It’s actually not all that impressive of a number. Thousands of marathoners probably did that or a greater distance on a training run or race this morning. Still, for a fledgling runner it marks a plateau reached and one I’ve fought hard for.


Why did I do it?


Wednesday I ran 5 miles. Thursday my legs ached so I went out and ran 8 miles.


Why did I do it?


My feet ache


Why did I do it?


My knees ache


Why did I do it?


My toe hurts (Ok, I guess dropping a bar of soap on your toe in the shower doesn't count. BTW this was not a prison shower so all was safe).


Why did I do it?


I am not this person. I am not an athlete. I should be sitting on the sofa eating a Big Kahuna Burger and watching Firefly Reruns (Rather than sitting at a desk, watching New Jack City and typing a blog about sitting on the sofa eating Big Kahuna Burgers. WTF?). I am a lazy guy. I do not run, bike and lift....errr, well, I shouldn't be doing that stuff.

I honestly don’t know why I put myself through this torture. I don’t know what I’m running towards or away from. I don’t know why I felt it important to run 20 miles in a week. I don’t know why I will be running 22 in a few weeks. I know I will be, but I don’t know why…..


No comments:

Post a Comment