Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2015


Race Report: Did that just happen?




13.1. You’ve seen the sticker (maybe) but what does it mean?


The Layman:
WTF is that? A radio station???
Bible Verse?
Genital measurement(probably metric)?


The Runner:
Do you have beer and wings?
Follow me to the nearest physical therapist
Chocolate milk kicks ass
DUDE! I completed a half marathon!! (13.1 miles)


Why put it on your car?
I didn’t understand myself before yesterday(But I knew I had to have one)....


I had the rare opportunity to run the Urban Bourbon Half Marathon yesterday. I was not prepared for this whatsoever. My long run was a smidgen north of 8 miles. The plan was to run my first half in April (the next one we have here) but due to the generosity of my employer, I had the opportunity to participate for free (Free? Big fan!!). It was obvious I’d need to walk or even take a short rest stop to do this but I was determined.


It started out like a typical race. Running on cold legs that bitched every inch of the first mile or two and then finally hit a relaxed run. I was running with the Fleet Feet 2:20 pacers(They will adjust their run to cross the finish line at the 2:20 mark. if you run with them, so will you) and everything was going smoothly. At mile 4 we entered Cherokee Park. I’m used to, and actually(or masochistically) enjoy, the hills there so I’d just relax and cruise through them. I was not however,  familiar with Barrett Hill. That sucker was brutal. There was actually fire shooting out of my calves(true story, probably) but I muscled up it(pseudopun not intended Crossfitters). After that, the rest of the park wasn’t so bad.


Next thing you know, we are passing 8 miles and I’m in new territory. All the way along the pacers were cheering me on(we ended up a very small group). Telling me they aren’t letting me drop behind (not that I actually was). Just generally non stop motivating. They even kept me chatting some about running to take my mind off the distance(which I was declaring as a countdown on the miles to free bourbon scale). When we hit 10 miles I began telling myself that all I gotta do is run a 5K. I do that for a quick recovery run now. No problem….. Yes problem. My calves were cramping and crying and my feet were throbbing ridiculously but I was so damn close. I had to fight my way across the finish line but I crossed it with my pacers in 2:19:43 with a 10:39 avg pace. Certainly not fast but I RAN A HALF MARATHON!!! Not bad for an 8 mile runner.



Crossing the finish line is an unbelievable feeling. A wave of emotion I simply cannot explain. I can only imagine what it feels like after 26.2(but faint at the concept of getting there). Next time I see either one of those stickers, I’ll understand the joy the driver felt and will hopefully get a warm fuzzy.




The finish line goodies were the icing on the cake (there was no cake but they did have a truck selling bacon covered frosted donuts). Water, Powerade, chocolate milk(The beloved moo juice!), bagels, four free bourbon tastings, a beer(The line was almost as long as the bathroom line before the race), slice of pizza, and a cup of Burgoo.

PS: I can't say enough good about the Fleet Feet pace team. There is just no way I'd have been able to fight my way through had it not been for those ladies. Hats off to team 2:20!


PICS!!!
Showing off my hand dipped in wax, Evan Williams Bourbon Bottle finisher's medal.


Because why not?


Robbie and I, another one down. Was with him for his first 5K, both of our first 10K and now our first half. What's next? His wife Laura also did a virtual 5k for charity along with us. No pic of her because she's our official photographer and on the other side of the camera but trust me, she rules!!


Look who I ran in to? Theresa was there to support our friend Marci(Or so I thought). Marci also completed her first half today. Couldn't find her after the race but did run in to her back at the parking ramp. I suspect she's feeling as achy as I am today(She's getting her own 13.1 sticker at work tomorrow. Hope she doesn't read this today). Well surprise, not only was Theresa prepared to cheer for Marci but she had myself and our corporate team in mind as well (she made 3 signs). She kicks ass! Thanks Theresa!!!


.....and the word of the day is:

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch man!! Hoping your recovery is going well. Always watching your blog for updates!!

      Delete