Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Your brain (AKA that lying sack of sh**)




You heard me. Your brain is a lying sack of sh**. LITERALLY. It's a fleshy bag containing feces. This is a fact I learned during my studying at Johns Hopkins(or perhaps it was a drunken bender in the Baltimore area as I can't seem to find my diploma anywhere? Either way, fabricated facts make for a more interesting blog). 

Like most sacks of sh**, it lies(another fact).

Huh?

An example: I was bench pressing with 55lb dumbbells(Because I'm He-Man strong. My muscles just don't know it yet). I've been on 55lbs for weeks. I simply can't handle more. I'm struggling to barely press the 55s. I told Kent from my local gym this and he walked to the rack, grabbed two 60 pound dummbells, dropped them on the floor in front of me and said "Press". "But, but, but" "trust me, do it". So I did. You know what? I pressed those 60 pounders pretty much just like I did the 55s. But I thought I couldn't lift any heavier.

Another example: Possibly this has happened to you. "I can't do it. I'm spent. I am not going to make it another mile". Then you run another 3 miles anyway, WTF? How does this all work? 

Your brain is victim to a scientific process call STIWM (Screw that, I want Munchies). You see, the brain hates running, lifting, working. What is loves is, eating, sitting, sleeping and watching Firefly reruns. 

Here's an example of STIWM....
Legs: Ok, time to get out the door and crank out a quick 5 miles.
Brain: Dude, it's the episode where the bounty hunter comes after River and I got a fresh bag of Cheesy Rings
Better Jugement: But I think it's better for us to run, be healthy and prepare for your race
Brain: Did you hear me? a WHOLE BAG OF CHEESY RINGS. Not the Chipotle Ranch grocery store knockoffs mind you. I'm talking a full bag of original nacho cheese flavored.
Body: You know...... I am feeling kind of worn down and could use a day off
Better Judgement: <Mouth Full> Glarmaghhsfnifflke

GAME OVER! You have been defeated by your brain. Please insert coins

Again, your brain is a lying sack of sh**. Learn your body's limits. Trust your training and take control of your brain!

******


Mon 8/17
Run: 2.99 miles, 10:04 pace, 177spm
Dumbell Bench Press: 2x8 @120lb (60lb dumbbells), 1x5@120
Barbell Back Squats: 3x5 @95lb. 2x5 @115lb
Pull Ups: 1x2, 2x lower and hang Second Pull-up in a row = PR
Push-ups: 3x10
Planks: 3x:30
Kettlebell RDLs: 3x8 with 2x25lb KBs
Negative Split Squats: 3x8
Weekly Mileage: 2.99mi
Miles to Mordor: 1469.97


Wed 8/19
Run Club - Wed: 3.78 miles. 11:32 Pace, 172 spm. Ran Week 6, day 2 or 3 with Basil for the first 2 miles or so. I was keeping pace with him just shy of 13mi/mi

Pull Up Practice: 1x1, 3xJump up and negative lower+hang
Push-Ups: 3x10

Weekly Mileage: 6.78 miles
Miles to Mordor: 1466.19

1 comment: